News:

Author Topic: Are skaters like this guy ruining the sport?  (Read 7566 times)

• noob?? no, newbie maybe, noob definately not
    • View Profile
08 June , 2011, 19:02:46 PM
Durban Traffic Bylaw

4. No person shall use roller skates or a board or any similar article to which rollers or wheels are fixed and which are commonly known as "skate-boards" or cause or permit them to be used upon a public road or sidewalk.
(P.N. 105/66; 315/73)

Jo-Burg:
23. (1) No person may [...] play cricket, football or any other game on a public road.
1. (1) In these By-laws, unless the context otherwise indicates –
“active game” means any physical sport, game or other activity participated in by one or more persons [...] and includes rugby, golf, archery, football, tennis, badminton, hockey, netball, volleyball,
skate-boarding, roller-skating and in-line skating;
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

• View Profile
08 June , 2011, 19:07:55 PM
Also note that there is a difference between different sorts of public roads. Where a by law might allow recreation use of a public road outside your house for freeriding etc it is a different scenario to the serious DH skating which for the most part is what I am concerned about.
When I refer to the 'sport' of longboarding I'm mostly referring to DH i.e competitive sport requiring longer stretches of roads at much higher speeds.
There are only 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

• professional clown
  • Administrator
  • if you can think it, you can do it
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding South Africa
08 June , 2011, 19:09:26 PM
no ways!! that's insane! where do you get this info? would like to look up PE and CT.
the world is not as it appears.
Longboarding South Africa

• View Profile
08 June , 2011, 21:12:23 PM
Just google or go to your local gov website and download the relevant documents. Those came from the Traffic Bylaw docs for the respective municipalities.

But seriously guys why is this stuff shocking you?? Think about it, you're not allowed to walk in the middle of the road 0_o why would you be allowed to rip it up from anything between 20-100km hr on a device with no brakes and to which safe execution requires skill... The road was build with taxpayers money to facilitate the transportation of people via primarily motorised vehicles, what we do is dangerous it is even if you are KRhimes you will wipe out and if you do that and there happens to be a taxpayer using the road for what it was made and he kills you, what then? who is responsible, how is the state going to navigate the issues surrounding the law in that case. In many cases laws are put in place to protect people and at the very least provide a line of responsibility when the shit hits the fan. yes you probably wont get locked up for Jay Walking but if you do and you get hit by a car, its your fault and you will have to pay for your own hospital fees.

I dont want skateboarding to be legal on public roads, we simply do not have the infrastructure to deal with it and I dont want it on my conscience when a kid accidently loses it in front of my car... as is happening to cyclists all the time. just recently a kid lost control and fell under a truck during cycle training. Yes lets create safe environments for our kids to cycle in our local areas safely but come one lets be reasonable.

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
09 June , 2011, 12:50:31 PM
i can't stand being told what to to. i have authority issues.

• View Profile
09 June , 2011, 15:07:38 PM
 ;D

• Skater, Coder
    • View Profile
24 June , 2011, 11:27:20 AM
Yeah, I think the law is probably in the book near the one about <50cc vehicles not being allowed on highways. That doesn't seem to stop people on scooters or cyclists though...

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
24 June , 2011, 11:49:48 AM
shouldn't cyclists then fall under the same category?

• Skater, Coder
    • View Profile
24 June , 2011, 12:10:41 PM
They bloody well should. They're the worst of the lot. The number of times I've seen cyclists causing traffic probs here in CT is far too many. They really just don't use their heads. They ride in the middle of the road on fast roads and when it comes to turning at intersections they try to act like a vehicle. When it comes to interactions, I usually dismount and cross on foot if it's a busy road. Stupid to do otherwise.

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
24 June , 2011, 12:32:01 PM
exactly! skaters are way more conscious of their surroundings than cyclists!! and may i add, courteous!! 

• Skater, Coder
    • View Profile
30 June , 2011, 10:35:39 AM
That's probably because we're not obsessed with wearing pvc shorts...

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
30 June , 2011, 11:02:55 AM
haha!

• Bomb Hills like its your last.
    • View Profile
06 October , 2011, 18:55:47 PM
Either that dudes crazy or just plain stupid, or both ;D

• Jedi
    • View Profile
16 November , 2011, 19:59:54 PM
would have been funny if he ate it  ;D
no one likes dirty beachs, keep our beachs clean

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
28 April , 2012, 19:28:54 PM
really? considering he would have been run over? This guy was being dangerous, but to start thinking like that's a little sociopathic yeah?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22