News:

Author Topic: rayne avnger vs rayne amazon  (Read 8602 times)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
12 November , 2012, 19:24:08 PM
I'm about to make my next longboard purchase  I've been trying to figure out which board between the rayne avenger and rayne amzon is better for downhill and commuting. I would like to read your opinion.

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
    • Think Skate - Skate Safe - South Africa
12 November , 2012, 23:45:15 PM
I'm about to make my next longboard purchase  I've been trying to figure out which board between the rayne avenger and rayne amzon is better for downhill and commuting. I would like to read your opinion.

Howzit going thinkahako,

I would personally choose the Amazon, but that's because I ride a Demonseed and love it, as well as the fact that I've also recently taken quite a liking to the new "Mean Cave"/concave you find on the Amazon, Rival & Supreme. The "Mean Cave", really is something IMHO, however it may be a case of "love it or hate it" as it is quite something of its own...
I'd also say that the Amazon would be better suited for long distance commuting due to it being able to be drop mounted, however there are definitely benefits to the extra clearance which comes with a topmount when commuting, so you may want to consider that fact....

Of course, it all comes down to personal preference though...

P.S. With boards such as the Amazon and Avenger which have all these new/different features(i.e. "Mean Cave", "Pleasure Dome", 3-Stage Rocker, etc.) I can't stress the importance of checking them out first hand as I've found that most of these types of features are "Love it or Hate it" kinds of things for most riders.

P.S.S.
  • What board do you currently ride..?
  • Do you want to stick with that style board, or do you wanna spice things up a little..?
  • How tall are you & how much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking..?
Sorry for the questions, I just wanna try make my opinion more case specific for you and your situation...

Peace.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 07:13:49 AM
I'm 1.7m tall and I weigh 70kg. I ride a chopped switchblade (it got ran over by a bakkie when I bailed and it rolled onto a main road one day, so I decide to chop it so that I could still have something to ride) which is now a topmount with a 64.8cm wheelbase.

The board I have now is nice but a mission to push and even though I sanded in wheel wells, wheelbite is still on my door step, so I think I'm gonna try something different. Thanks

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 14:22:13 PM
...I ride a chopped switchblade (it got ran over by a bakkie when I bailed and it rolled onto a main road one day, so I decide to chop it so that I could still have something to ride) which is now a topmount with a 64.8cm wheelbase...
Bleak days!!!! Would dig to see a picture of how you've chopped it, if possible!!!

...The board I have now is nice but a mission to push and even though I sanded in wheel wells, wheelbite is still on my door step, so I think I'm gonna try something different...
Why is it a mission to push, because of the ride height..?
Depending on how you've cut your board, your best way of deciding IMO, is to choose if you preferred your Switchblade the way it was originally(Symmetrical, Dropped, Dropmount => Amazon) or if you prefer it the way it is now(Directional(?), Topmount => Avenger).
Of course I'm not saying that your chopped deck is necessarily on the same level as an Avenger, actually I'm pretty sure it isn't(no offence), but the style of the board should be similar enough for you to get an idea of which of the two board style suites your way of riding more.
Also, I'm pretty sure the Amazon wouldn't have any issues with wheel bite, unless of course you're trying to rock some Electric FlyWheels or something ridiculous like that...hahaha where as, IMO, the Avenger would be more prone to potential wheel bite.

I'm 1.7m tall and I weigh 70kg...
Do you prefer a wide, or narrow stance on your board?
Cause, IMO, if you think your stance is on the shorter side of things, you may want to consider a shorter deck, maybe something like the Baby Killer(http://www.longboardingsa.co.za/shop/decks/rayne-longboards/rayne-baby-killer.html)..?
Although you may want to factor into your selection criteria that you might start getting taller, or have a growth spurt relatively soon, depending on yourself, and your age of course...

Shit, I hope I'm not babbling too much here... hahaha...

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 16:03:43 PM
No, what you saying makes sense, I think ill go with the amazon cause I would prefer a dropthrough that the board I have now, plus wheel bite is eliminated cause of the wheel cut outs and it can be dropped through or topmounted, thanks a lot for you help and insight dude, I really appreciate it.

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 16:59:29 PM
No, what you saying makes sense, I think ill go with the amazon cause I would prefer a dropthrough that the board I have now, plus wheel bite is eliminated cause of the wheel cut outs and it can be dropped through or topmounted, thanks a lot for you help and insight dude, I really appreciate it.
Sweet, well glad I could give you a little extra insight, I'm sure you wont regret the Amazon.

Just a little tip for Rayne/Bamboo decks, and that's that I would highly recommend making a nose guard of some sort to try maintain the integrity of your boards nose/tail, the reason being that the Bambo can be relatively fragile IMO, so the guard helps prevent the daily scuffing and chipping from general use, plus, depending on how you construct your guard, chances are it will help with impact absorption and act as a bumper.
It's a really simple thing to do considering how much it can actually protect your deck, and prolong it's potential life, I mean I'd hate to imagine what my deck would look like if I didn't make nose guards for it, in fact I reckon it would most likely be dead by now if it where to go through the same dings and smashes without the guard!

P.S. Any chance of us getting a pic of that chopped Switchblade?
Maybe start a thread specifically for chopped decks, where we can view and share our own and others chopped decks... not that I've got a chopped deck myself, but I'd be keen to see what other guys have done!!!
I mean who doesn't like a bit of local visual(pics, vids, etc.) skate content every now and then hey..? ;)

Peace.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 18:15:03 PM
Lol, I know what you mean dude, I'll defiantly make that nose guard cause I've seen what happens to drop through decks who don't have them. I would send the pic of my board but I'm having some trouble attaching it so I'll send it using my home computer, thanks for all the help and just sit tight ill send that pic one way or another.

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 19:26:27 PM
Lol, I know what you mean dude, I'll defiantly make that nose guard cause I've seen what happens to drop through decks who don't have them. I would send the pic of my board but I'm having some trouble attaching it so I'll send it using my home computer, thanks for all the help and just sit tight ill send that pic one way or another.
Sweet, well I'm more than happy to help you out if you're struggling with the forum and it's functionality, I know how fiddly this shit can be for some...

The sweet thing about dropthrough's though, is that it's generally super easy to attach a guard to them compared to their topmount counterparts IMO.
All you need is some silicone tubing(of appropriate diameters) and some cable ties, and voila, you've got yourself a really decent shock absorbent guard.
« Last Edit: 13 November , 2012, 19:28:42 PM by ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ »

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 November , 2012, 19:51:07 PM
Awesome, and cheap to. What's the setup that you ride?

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 13:44:12 PM
Awesome, and cheap to. What's the setup that you ride?

Freeriding:
  • Deck: Rayne Demonseed
  • Trucks: Sabre GC-190's(Top-Mounted)
  • Boardside Bushing & Washer: 88a(FatAnt Bushings) with an undersized(eliminator effect) flat washer.
  • Roadside Bushing & Washer: 85a(Sabre "R-Type") with stock Sabre Cupped washer
  • Wheels: Cult Converters or Abec 11 Flashbacks
That's what I ride when doing everyday freeriding, but when upping speeds I've found that putting the stock Sabre "R-Type"(93a) bushing boardside with the 88a FatAnt roadside does wonders for keeping your board more stable whilst still giving you enough turn and lean to comfortably initiate slides at those higher speeds.

Bombing

• Deck: Rayne Demonseed
  • Trucks: Sabre GC-190's(Drop-Mounted)
  • Boardside Bushing & Washer: 95a(FatAnt Bushings) with no washer.
  • Roadside Bushing & Washer: 93a(Sabre "R-Type") with stock Sabre Cupped washer
  • Wheels: Abec11 Flywheels(83mm, 78a)
This is what I've been bombing with mostly these days, but I've recently got my hands on some Sector 9 Round-Lipped(70mm ,78a) Race formulas the other day which I've been trying out. I've been really enjoying them and their smaller diameter so far, but I can just feel them waiting for my command to initiate a slide, so would really like to take those bad boys for some more technical freeride runs and see how they fair there.
I'm thinking their Rounded Profile of the lip combined with the 78a duro would be ideally suited for some technical sliding!!!!

Just a little side note, this is from one of your previous posts:

...I would prefer a dropthrough that the board I have now, plus wheel bite is eliminated cause of the wheel cut outs...

I just wanted to point out that  there are some Drop-Through decks which will still have some wheel bite issues, sure cut-outs will definitely reduce the decks chances of wheel bite, but you should note that it definitely doesn't eliminate the issue completely.
Granted I haven't had any issues with my Demonseed specifically, I do know of guys who've had issues with the Switchblade before, so I just thought that I should point that out for you.

So have you got that Amazon yet..?
How're you looking at setting it up..?

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 14:49:11 PM
Haven't got my amazon yet( still saving) but I'll get it soon. When my switchblade was still in its unbroken state I had 76mm gum balls with my trucks loose and I never got wheel bite. But the degree of your base plate and your truck and bushings combo could play a factor in it, but all in all I never got wheel bite.

For free ride I'm gonna set it up with the amazon, caliber 50 trucks, biltin bearings and abec 11 free rides  81a. 88a fat ant board side and 85a fat ant road side with cup washers on either side.

For downhill I'm gonna top mount the amazon, caliber 50 trucks, biltin bearings and orangatang in heats 80a. Gonna have 90a bear and Jim Z eliminator bushings board side with a flat washerand 88a or 90a fat ant road side with a cup washer.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 14:55:45 PM
How are the bigger fly wheels for downhill cause I've heard that larger wheels tend to accelorate slower or does the large core make then go a bit faster?

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 16:00:14 PM
...When my switchblade was still in its unbroken state I had 76mm gum balls with my trucks loose and I never got wheel bite. But the degree of your base plate and your truck and bushings combo could play a factor in it, but all in all I never got wheel bite...
What trucks was that set up with..? Also, I assume that was top-mounted..?
My mate was having issues with the Swithcblade drop-mounted with Sabre GC-190's(45°) and some Abec 11 Big-zigs(75mm x 51.5mm)[vs. Gumballs(76mm X 45.5mm)], granted he was able to sort it relatively easily by just getting some much harder bushings and tightening his truck considerably more.

Here's a quick list of some of the factors which will play a role in wheel-bite:
(Just my opinion though...)
  • Truck degree
  • Hanger width relative to boards width
  • Wheel wells/cut-outs size and shape
  • Bushing type & duro
  • Washer type & size
  • Wheel diameter and width(contact patch)
  • Wheel core(Off-set vs. Centre-set vs. Side-set)
  • Riders weight
...For free ride I'm gonna set it up with the amazon, caliber 50 trucks, biltin bearings and abec 11 free rides  81a. 88a fat ant board side and 85a fat ant road side with cup washers on either side.

For downhill I'm gonna top mount the amazon, caliber 50 trucks, biltin bearings and orangatang in heats 80a. Gonna have 90a bear and Jim Z eliminator bushings board side with a flat washerand 88a or 90a fat ant road side with a cup washer.

Sounds sick!!! Where're you planning on getting the Jim-Z bushings from, you gonna be doing a little international order..? ???
Have you looked at FatAnt O'beasts, they're his version of eliminators, and are pretty shweeet apparantly...
« Last Edit: 01 December , 2012, 16:03:51 PM by ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ »

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 17:05:05 PM
Baboon boards has the jimZ eliminators, I heard about obeasts but if I want them I will have to make a very small order from longboarding sa in EL and I live in Cape Town.

• ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
    • View Profile
01 December , 2012, 20:20:51 PM
How are the bigger fly wheels for downhill cause I've heard that larger wheels tend to accelorate slower or does the large core make then go a bit faster?
The larger the wheel, the slower the acceleration and the higher the top speed AFIK, I'd also reckon that they carry speed better/longer.
So the 83mm Fly wheels will be able to reach a higher top speed than a 76mm Fly Wheel, however that 76mm Fly Wheel will accelerate faster.
IMO, larger bombing wheels(>75mm) are more suited for longer, less technical race courses where you can just tuck and go...

As for large, exposed cores, AFIK they are a way to allow for a larger diameter wheel without the added weight of more urethane, and less weight = faster acceleration.
I also reckon having the larger core  allows for less deformation of the wheel, meaning the thane and it's relative duro will act differently(harder) with a larger core than with a smaller one.

Baboon boards has the jimZ eliminators...
Ahaaa, I thought I had seen them somewhere locally before, but couldn't remember where...

...I heard about obeasts but if I want them I will have to make a very small order from longboarding sa in EL and I live in Cape Town.
Ja, but local's lekker!!!  ;)
And LSA are having a special between the 1st - 24th December, giving free delivery with orders over R300, but obviously that wont work if all you are gonna get is 1 set of O'Beasts...
They also have a Price Match Guarantee offering a 5% discount, so why not get yourself some Vicious, and/or some wheels at the same time, and it should work out cheaper IMHO!!!
Obviously this wont work if you don't actually have the cash yet... but might be something you should look into... just a thought if you're planning on getting the gear in the near future... although R50 for those Jim-Z's is fairly reasonable....
« Last Edit: 01 December , 2012, 20:26:53 PM by ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22