News:

Author Topic: Choosing my longboard  (Read 5597 times)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
30 May , 2011, 18:08:53 PM
Howsit i'm a surfer looking to buy a longboard for when there's no waves. I want something that will replicate surfing on land. My focus is more on carving and radical maneuvers than on outright speed, so maybe a wider deck n more give than a downhill board. Would you be able to recommend anything for me?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding SA
31 May , 2011, 09:39:57 AM
If you want "radical manoeuvres" I wouldn't go with a wide deck. Wide generally means heavy so it wont move around too easy, especially at low speeds. If you want something with a bit of give, have a look at the Airflow Fast and Furious (http://firstnature.be/awesome/products/decks/airflow-skateboards/attachment/airflow-fast-and-furious-deck/), it's a great board for general cruising and progressive freeriding.

The Loaded Boards have a bit more flex than the F&F (http://firstnature.be/awesome/products/decks/loaded-carving-systems-2/)

If you're looking for something more affordable, go with JET Skateboards, the doppler would probably be what you're looking for. Sale on JET completes ends today. (http://firstnature.be/awesome/news/complete-mayhem/) Don't be fooled by the price, JET decks are good quality and will last a lifetime. They're distributed by ABEC 11 so they have Chris Chaputs stamp of approval.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
31 May , 2011, 10:14:49 AM
Hey Man

I recently bought my first longboard and it is a daunting task to select the right one for you from all the options out there. I eventually went for a Sector 9 complete which is serving me very well. I dont think I know enough to be able to really suggest different boards like Loyd did above, what I can say though is that one day I took and afternoon to just go and have a look at as many boards as possible and stand on then and see how it felt. If you are in the Durban area go have a look at Gateway, every second skating shop there has longboards. I would suggest buying one from there but if you go have a look at them and get the feel of them at least you will have a better idea about what will suit you.

I can say that those boards that Loyd posted above look frikken sweet and are at an amazing price for a complete of that nature.

• Skater, Coder
    • View Profile
21 June , 2011, 16:47:55 PM
Hey Maatt, there are a couple of longboard setups out there that attempt to replicate the feel of surfing.

I can only comment on the Carver C7+C2 system, which is pretty awesome. Extremely responsive and carvey
truck setup. Not good for downhill (Max speed is about 50km/h, above that and it gives major wobbles) but
great for carving and cruising. Also very easy to pump for speed.

It does a very good job of bringing the surfy feel to land by all accounts (Although I must stress I am not
a surfer and so I can't back this up). Still, Laird Hamilton is a member of their skate team and he apparently
uses it for downtime surf training...

Getting one in this country will be tricky though. Easiest would be to order direct from their website or
buy the trucks via DaddysBoardShop and find an appropriate surfboard shaped deck for it...

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
26 October , 2011, 21:48:51 PM
Sho guys, I'm new in the whole longboarding world and need some advise on buying a first board narrowed my search down to either the Lanyachtz Chinook, Switch or Dervish. Looking for a good overall board. Please advise if anyone in the Pretoria Joburg area has got any of these boards for maybe just a close up and feel of the boards!!!!

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 11:16:11 AM
Jman... WHat kind of riding do you want to do? Those boards are pretty different. Craig (Jo'Burg Longboarders Club - see Facebook) has a Dervish. I ride Original Apex 37; Landyachts 925; Boardyard carbon fibre foam core and a Sector 9 Goddess edition.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 11:21:31 AM
Thanks for the reply. I want a good all rounder board, downhill, carving but also for cruising from Station to work. What is the difference between the Switch and Chinook?  Or rather what is the main use of the Switch and Chinook?

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 11:37:03 AM
May be a bit heavy for commuting. Chinook and Switch good for freeride and downhill (very stiff, very heavy), not so much carving. Dervish is great for carving (more flex, lighter) - but too loose and light for downhill at speed. Looking at the shapes of the switch and chinook, you dont have as much foot placement freedom as you would in a flat board. I dont see any guys on those odd shapes - even very experienced longboarders. Havent tried one myself but they seem interesting to look at but not functional for all round riding.
Have a look at the Landyachts 925 (I love it for sliding and downhill) but its quite heavy (not ideal for commuting). Nice thing is that its stiff enough to handle decent speed but really comfy and drop through for sliding and carving.
Also have a look at the Airflow Fast and Furious (First nature has it). Its light but stiff. Drop through trucks. You can take it downhill with tightened trucks and bushings but not sure how it would handle at retarded speeds (<80 kph). Lloyd from First nature rides one and raves about it. Chat to him on Facebook.
Also check out the Fibretec Flying Pan. Or (if budget allows) get a DH deck and a carving deck. Youll always have tradeoffs looking for an AllRound deck.
We skate most Saturdays in either Pretoria, Krugersdorp or Edenvale (long stretches with low traffic). Pull in and come get a feel for the differences. Search for Jo'Burg Longboarders Club on Facebook.

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 11:41:18 AM

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 11:45:01 AM

Having tried out the Airflow and felt its stiffness and weight. It sounds like the ideal board for you. My mate, Graham, has one (Lloyd is in Madagascar at the mo on business - so he can tell you about it but you wont be able to try his). We are based in Sandton. Shout if you want to try the Airflow, the Apex 37, Landyachts 925, etc out. We can meet up sometime or you can join us one of these weekends for a session.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 12:00:46 PM
Thanks for your help much appreciated. Just looked at a quick review on the 925 and sounds like the board. Would like to join you guys for a ride and feel  the 925 and airflow. Advise would then also be needed on the build of the board. Will join the club on facebook. I work in the midrand area and would be nice if we could meet up so that I can see the boards and maybe a quick feel before buying. Jman

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
27 October , 2011, 12:04:19 PM
Cool - join the Facebook group and we take it from there. I would go 925 or AirFlow with Sabre trucks and Orangutang Stimulus wheels. Nice all round setup that can handle speed but flexible enough for carving and sliding.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding SA
28 October , 2011, 06:06:41 AM
Hey guys. Tom's right, the Airflow F&F is a sick board! Awesome concave and just the right amount of flex. I can handle speed (hence the name) but I wouldn't use it for racing. We're sold out of them at First Nature right now though. If you guys want some Airflow decks, let me know, we can get some more if there is a big enough interest. Keen to try out the Airflow Fuse myself.

Jman, Have a look at the Lush Longboards that we just got in recently. I think the Generator or the Sequel might be what you are looking for.

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
29 October , 2011, 20:42:58 PM
Thanks Llyod fot the gen. Want to order as soon as possible through the SA shop either the 925 or airflow f&f. Is the Airflow pump available in SA? Also looks and sounds like a awesome all rounder board.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding SA
30 October , 2011, 08:58:30 AM
FN is out of stock of all Airflows and therefore so is LSA. The pump hasn't made it to SA yet.

I think you'd also be interested in the JET Crossfire.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22