News:

Author Topic: Boards and Brands  (Read 4685 times)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 09:56:22 AM
Hey chaps..

I live in Joburg, where there is a new bus and train system up. I'm keen to get a board for cruising from my house to the bus stop (about 2km).

I'm originally from the coast, and have surfed and skated most of my life... however I don't know much about longboards. I popped into a surf shop recently, and saw some sector 9's, but I'm keen to find out if there are better brands to go with, and what shapes/systems are better.

Some thoughts... Sometimes I'll need to ride on pavements, which might need a more maneuverable board.  I'm gonna need to also carry it around, so medium size board might be better.

Any thoughts, opinions, and general direction would be great.  ;)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 11:38:45 AM
sector 9 city crusher!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding SA
13 September , 2011, 12:33:29 PM
Check out the airflow Fast and Furious for a great all round board. Available from First Nature. Also have a look at the Lush Longboads range. First Nature will have them in stock in the next few weeks.

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 13:03:40 PM

Good idea would be to pull in one weekend and have a look at and try out some boards.

Sectors are generally quite loose and high - which is cool for cruising and carving - but limiting at speed. I enjoy my sector for cruising but got frustrated after one day out downhill and ended up buying a stiffer, lower CoG board (Landyachts 925) for that purpose.

The Airflow is cool - as is the Landyachts 925. Only thing with drop through set up is that you have limited tail space to kick the board up and its uncomfortable / hard to ride the board with your front foot above the front trucks (personal style really but I enjoy cruising like that). If youre going to be dealing with pavements, etc, the extra tail space on a Sector is great. I have the Goddess series

http://www.swindleshop.co.za/pOGF103CS11/GODDESS-SKATEBOARD--OG-SERIES.aspx

Bottom line - hook up with some guys and have a look at different boards then take it from there.

Get onto Jo'Burg Longboarders Club on facebook and see when we hooking up again.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150394061472289.413181.687652288&type=1#!/group.php?gid=89318043804

• professional clown
  • Administrator
  • if you can think it, you can do it
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding South Africa
13 September , 2011, 13:13:58 PM
I recently got myself the Landyachtz Chinook. Awesome board. And it's surprisingly light if you want to carry it around. You can even drag it behind you as the nose won't touch the pavement. It's great for freeriding and still steady on the hill.

If you get that, you could always "learn how to jump over man eating lions" for the pavement problem.  ;D
the world is not as it appears.
Longboarding South Africa

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 13:18:28 PM
JonJon - Where in JHB do you live?

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 13:55:44 PM
That city crusher looks great. nice. That could be the one... Where could I get it?

Bjorn, i tested a sector 9 out today that had a similar shape to the Landyachtz Chinook. Really different feel to what I'm used too... Looks awesome though. Got to give it a try on some proper road though... was in a shopping centre. That jumping looking insane.

TomG, thanks for the info! I'm near Rosebank... Where do you guys cruise?

I also tested out an Element 'Travel Well' board today...  similar to this one which felt comfortable, but was a bit slow (I'm used to short boards, so it was easy riding). My only reserve with going for a shorter board is that I'm scared its not going to get enough speed over flatter road sections... Any thoughts about shorter boards? Also, with the price range, around R1500 looks good...

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 14:15:37 PM
Sweet! Im in Hyde Park but we cruise hills in Pretoria and Krugersdorp - quite a drive. But will be going through this weekend. Either Saturday or Sunday (or both). So keep an eye on Jo'burg Longboarders Club on Facebook, then friend me and let me know if you want to head through with me, meet some new people and ride a bit. Its awesome.

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 14:32:40 PM
I've put this board up for sale if you maybe do not want to do that cash outlay now: Sector 9 Teahupoo.
I just might be open for negotiation... might...  :P

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 15:18:13 PM
Bjorn! You should think about a second hand sales section to the forum - if you're sure it wont cannibalise your "new" sales...

• professional clown
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 15:26:48 PM
it exists, Swop Column.

sales through the site is secondary. i love skateboarding. the aim of this site is merely to help everyone find what they're looking for. share the stoke!  8)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 17:55:49 PM
Tried out a few Sector 9's today... different shapes and sizes... Someone suggested this board as a good commuter... I tried it out, and it felt amazing. Don't know how nice it would be for a downhill, but it turned sharp and was amazing on flat road... Any comments about this:

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 18:04:13 PM
My cousin has one. Cool cruiser. You wont slide those wheels easily though.

You're in quite a hurry... I would definitely try out a good, stiff drop-through board first before you commit. Like I said, I had my Sector for a month, and as soon as I tried a drop-through, it felt so much more controlled, I had to buy one. You'll progress quick so think about it.

Its personal - you may opt for the Sector in the end (and the limited edition Marley) - but I would give others a try first to avoid buyers remorse. There are some very different boards out there.

Im based in Sandton. Can always hook up sometime if you want to try a top mount and drop-through out properly - and you dont want to mission out on the weekend. WOuld advise a mission anyway - you'll learn a ton and meet a great crowd.

Dont forget a helmet...

• No avatar
  • boob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 18:08:39 PM
PS: Which store is that? Billabong in the Zone?

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
13 September , 2011, 18:39:11 PM
Cool bru... Will take your advice test out some more. Definitely keen to pull in one saturday.

I think one of the things I'm concerned about is that I get a board that handles and feels great on hills, but that is hard to commute with because its either too long and heavy, or too difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.   

By the way, that shop is the Cresta billabong...

« Last Edit: 13 September , 2011, 19:43:39 PM by Jonjon »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22