News:

Author Topic: Board Making  (Read 4338 times)

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
15 November , 2011, 01:20:24 AM
Hello

I have my mould all done but nw come the time for my actual board :) iv have researched and found out u should use thin layers of maple wood:) .....now this is were my confusion comes in ....where can i buy this wood?
i went to Timber City and they do not have it ?

Anybody could help me it would be fantastic :)

Thanx

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
15 November , 2011, 19:01:09 PM
OK

• professional clown
  • Administrator
  • if you can think it, you can do it
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding South Africa
15 November , 2011, 20:45:20 PM
seems no-one knows sedge, also put your post on the FB page. sorry mate. i have no idea myself...
the world is not as it appears.
Longboarding South Africa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Longboarding SA
16 November , 2011, 05:45:01 AM
Hey Sedge. That "thin maple" is hard to come by in South Africa. The guys from Project Skateboards import theirs themselves. That does not mean it's the end of your board making days though. I would recommend using pine ply wood to start out with. It's not as strong as maple but it will do the trick while you're learning the ropes of board making. The pine ply wood comes in 4mm sheets of 3 plies. 2 longitudinal and one cross.

I made 5 boards out of that with fibreglass on the bottom. The first two were testers and were never really used. the third one was my race board that I did 6 races on and came third on it twice, the second time it was actually cracked from a car driving over it a week before the race so I threw it away after that. The 4th and 5th were almost identical freeride boards. I used one until I broke it on Christof Batts (IGSA #3 in 2010) wrist in Llandudno. The last remaining one is still being used buy one of my mates.

I stopped making boards because it wasn't worth my time anymore. There is ahuge range of decent boards available in SA now. It was a rewarding experience to be skating my own creation though.

Wht kind of "mould" do you have?

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
16 November , 2011, 08:51:52 AM
Very usefull information Thanx very much ..

My mate and I build a wood mould ...we looked it up from silverfish.....:) we will adjust it after we make our first board.

Yea i think we just want to make boards for fun, and experience, and also cause we can make them to our specific needs:)

Thanx very much again

• Jedi
    • View Profile
17 November , 2011, 19:53:26 PM
if you can, use bamboo its at least three times stronger and its cheaper if you know the right people. also make sure the board isnt trademarked by another company or they could sue you for all your worth, almost happened to my friend :O
no one likes dirty beachs, keep our beachs clean

• No avatar
  • noob
    • View Profile
10 July , 2013, 20:18:33 PM
I ordered six pre-pressed uncut decks from Churchill MFG, & it should have worked out to be around R200 each, but once shipping was included (very heavy) it cost me R600+ each.
The quality is very good, but its going to be cheaper (R900 for a Sector 9 Annika) buying a deck than importing the pre-pressed ones.
Apparently there is a company in Germiston that sells veneers. If I track them down I will post it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22